Hydrant meters are intended to provide temporary access to water for construction and community activities up to one year. KC Water expects hydrant meters to be used properly and returned in good working order. As such, hydrant meter customers are expected to:
- Safeguard the meter against theft, vandalism and other damage. The Contractor is also required to protect the Fire Hydrant Meter from freezing in inclement weather.
- Secure the hydrant meter to the base of the fire hydrant with a heavy chain and lock. Removing the hydrant meter overnight as a means of theft prevention or safe keeping is not allowed.
- Never run a supply hose across any City street, intersection or pedestrian walkway.
- Refrain from operating the Fire Hydrant stem valve. The controlling valve on the Fire Hydrant Meter is provided for water flow operation. Any damage to the hydrant requiring repair will be charged to the account holder.
- Never remove or relocate the Fire Hydrant Meter from the original set location. If the hydrant meter needs to be relocated, the account holder is required to go through the permitting and application process to ensure the Fire Department has current data.
- Do not modify the original configuration or repair the Fire Hydrant Meter.
- Pay all charges in a timely manner.
- Call the KC Water Contact Center (816-513-1313) when they no longer have use for the meter. Upon removal, KC Water will inspect the hydrant meter and components for damage.
- Pay charges for any repairs or replacement as shown in the final billing and agree that any outstanding charges will be deducted from the deposit.
PLEASE NOTE: Failure to abide by any of the above listed responsibilities will result in forfeiture
of the deposit.
Download the KC Water Hydrant Meter application and Fact Sheet