(Kansas City, Mo.) – Kansas City Water Services encourages customers to protect water pipes from breaking by staying ahead of freezing temperatures. Simple winterization steps can prevent pipes from freezing and bursting inside homes, which can lead to costly repairs.
Customers can prevent frozen pipes during cooler weather by:
- Disconnecting & draining outdoor hoses;
- Insulating pipes or faucets in unheated areas;
- Sealing off access doors, air vents, and cracks;
- Locating the master shutoff valve, so water can quickly be shut-off if a leak occurs; and
- Leaving a pencil-lead-thin stream of water flowing during freezing weather.
In the instance that a water pipe breaks and the shut-off valve doesn’t work, please call Water Services immediately to request an emergency shut-off. Water Services crews are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, at 816.513.1313 or 311.
For more information, please contact Jennifer Kincaid, Media Relations Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 816.513.0284.
KC Water maintains and operates water treatment and distribution systems, stormwater management systems, and wastewater collection and treatment systems for residential and business customers in Kansas City and for wholesale customers in the Kansas City area. KC Water is primarily funded by fees charged to customers based on their use or impacts on the three utility systems.
Follow KC Water: Website • Facebook • Twitter • YouTube • Instagram • NextDoor